Dear NY / Querida NY
Goodbye Letter
Dear NY,
It's been very difficult for me to tell you this. It was very nice to meet you, but now is time to leave. Don't be sad, it's not you, really, it's me.
Is was such a great experience, better than I expected. And, although it seems selfish of me, I got exactly what I was looking for from you. However, I'm not going to miss your disgusting and hot underground tunnels full of rats, the constant movement of "blind" people at peak hours, the nearly 4 hours that I lose every day moving, the mountains of garbage accumulated in the streets, the weird people or the diversity of smells, (especially the "odor" of pee on rainy days).
I will miss you for your delicious bagels, the breeze of the Hudson River through the Riverside Park, my biking to explore your streets, your huge avenues, your honest taxi drivers, the diversity of food, the contrast between Brooklyn and Manhattan, the views of your skyline, your free events, concerts and art...
Despite all of this, you will be always in my memories, you became a part of me, like Brighton and Venice. Venice is an artificial frozen shadow of the huge empire that once it was. You are starting to be the shadow of the splendor that you were last century, but coexisting with the same intensity of virtual power. Anyway, you've always known that this couldn't continue forever, don't you?
Used to be a day when you really represents the liberty for all the immigrants around the world, but times change and now you belong only to Americans. And that difference puts the balance on your side, not mine. Now your liberty has a high prize that I can't afford to pay. You have become a city of extremes, where middle class has no space and where the provocation linked with impatience is paid with handcuffs.
If it's helps, I'm not going to leave you for one of your "lovely" suburbs friends. I'm coming back to my old and lovely Europe, afraid for the Spanish situation but positive and happy because now I can really appreciate what is there.
So, don't worry if you don't understand me, it's normal... after all, you are American, you know.
Always yours,
Lourdes
xxxx
PS: I don't know if I will see you again. But I know that one day, I will miss you. But not yet...not yet...
Carta de despedida
Querida NY,
Me es muy
difícil decirte esto. Me alegro mucho de haberte conocido, pero ahora es tiempo
de partir. No estés triste, no es por ti, de verdad, es por mí.
Ha sido una
gran experiencia, mejor de lo que me esperaba. Y, aunque parezca egoísta por mi parte, he conseguido exactamente lo que buscaba de ti. Sin embargo, no voy a echar de
menos tus asquerosos y sofocantes túneles subterráneos llenos de ratas, el constante movimiento de
gente “ciega” a horas punta, las montañas de basura acumuladas en las calles, la gente rara o la gran
diversidad de olores, (especialmente el “perfume” de meado en los días
lluviosos).
Echaré de
menos tus deliciosos bagels, la brisa del río Hudson a través del Parque Riverside, mis salidas en bici para explorar tus calles, tus enormes avenidas, tus honestos taxistas, la diversidad de
comida, el contraste entre Brooklyn y Manhattan, las vistas de tu horizonte,
tus eventos, conciertos y arte gratuitos…
A pesar de
todo esto, tu siempre estarás en mis recuerdos, formas parte de mi, al igual
que Brighton y Venecia. Venecia es la sombra artificial congelada del gran imperio que un día fue. Tú estás empezando a ser la sombra del esplendor que tuvistes el siglo pasado, pero coexistiendo con la misma intensidad de poder virtual. De todas maneras, tú siempre has sabido que esto no iba
a durar eternamente, ¿verdad?
Solía haber
un día en el que tú realmente representabas la libertad para todos los
inmigrantes alrededor del mundo, pero los tiempos cambian y ahora perteneces
sólo a los americanos. Y esa diferencia pone la balanza de tu parte, no de la
mía. Ahora tu libertad tiene un alto precio que no puedo permitirme pagar. Te
has convertido en una ciudad de extremos, donde la clase media no tiene lugar y donde la chulería ligada a la impaciencia se paga con las esposas.
Si te
ayuda, no te voy a dejar por uno de tus “encantadores” amigos de los suburbios.
Me vuelvo a mi vieja y encantadora Europa, asustada por la situación española pero positiva y
feliz porque ahora realmente aprecio lo que hay allí.
Así que no
te preocupes si no me entiendes, es normal… al fin y al cabo, eres americana,
ya sabes.
Siempre tuya,
Lourdes
xxxx
PS: No sé si nos volveremos a ver de nuevo. Pero sé que algún día, te echaré de menos. Pero todavía no… todavía no...


Comments
Post a Comment